Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Canadian Idol - Season 6 - Top 16 - Part 1

This week should be a good one... After this week, we should have our Top 10! Which means 6 contestants will be eliminated this week. Ouch!

Martin Kerr - Fix You (Coldplay)
Great song, perfect for Martin's register. I'm not crazy about the arrangement, but I think MArtin did a good job vocally. I don't know why tho, but I can't watch him perform... When I close my eyes, he sounds great... But when I open them and watch, I cringe.




Theo Tams - Bubbly (Colbie Caillat)
What a strange song to sing for a guy... I really enjoyed the acoustic arrangement and how Theo made the song his own with the slightly different phrasing and vocal variations here and there. It was really nice to see him play guitar rather than piano. Really liked the performance, it's just a bit strange to hear a guy sing this song.




Amberly Thiessen - You and I Both (Jason Mraz)
I've heard so many covers of this song, and this I did not like. Vocally she sounded great, and I have to say I liked how she ended the song. But that's the only positive for me. She looked awkward without her guitar, and I did not like how her voice slowed down at time. Really not that good.




Adam Castelli - If I Were A Carpenter (Tim Hardin)
Very, very nice. My favorite from Adam so far. I really loved his softer voice, it's very pretty and soothing. His higher register is powerful, I love that he almost talks at times. Very nice.

Marie-Pierre Bellerose - Piece of My Heart (Janis Joplin)
That was a very fitting song for her. The blues and raspiness in her voice were great on this. She seemed really into it, giving it her all. Her voice cracked at times but I liked it nonetheless for the passion she had.

Omar Lunan - If Tomorrow Never Comes (Garth Brooks)
Oh boy, what was that? I really like Omar, but this was really, really not good. He was completely off pitch several times, the phrasing was weird, and when he tried to salvage the song by going into his falsetto, it was even worse. I hope he makes Top 10, but this certainly was not worthy of it.




Mark Day - Against All Odds (Phil Collins)
Positive - his lower register is pretty nice. Negative - EVERYTHING ELSE. He lacked the power, the angst, the emotions that this song requires. No, no, no, no, no, just NO.




Mookie Morris - Valerie (The Zutons)
I liked it! This suited him really well. It was fun and well done!




I was expecting much more for the last pre-Top 10 show. It was a bit of a let down.

My Top 3:
Theo
Mookie
Adam

My Bottom 3:
Mark
Omar
Amberly

Who I Think Will Go Home:
Mark
Adam
Marie-Pierre

No comments: