Friday, January 4, 2008

Greg Neufeld and Andrew Austin - The Berkeley Church - December 29th 07 - Show Review

The Berkeley Church is a beautiful Toronto venue with wonderful acoustics. It is an old church that has been converted into a great event venue. Weddings, receptions, fashion shows, music shows, you name it!

On the bill was Andrew Austin and Greg Neufeld. Not only were they playing both a set, there also was a DVD being shot to be added to Greg's upcoming album as a bonus feature (the album will most probably be available late January, early February, but don't quote me on that).

Greg took the stage first, and was in great vocal form. He played a 10 song set:

Lazy Eyes
At Your Door
You and I Both (by Jason Mraz)
Daughters (by John Mayer)
So Far
I'm Ready (by Bryan Adams)
Learning song (with full band)
Sleep You Off (with full band)
Ever You (with full band)
Delicate (by Damien Rice)

Greg was in a playful mood and joked around with the crowd. "You probably heard me play this on a tv show called Canadian Idol... But you didn't vote for me...", he said, jokingly, as he was getting ready to play "I'm Ready". He had the crowd laughing with him. Greg played a mostly acoustic set, except for a few songs he did with a full band (Andrew Austin on guitar/piano, and Andrew's drummer and bassist). That was a nice change - although I absolutely adore Greg acoustic - and it made for a nice little set.

Greg really made my night by playing "Ever You" "Sleep You Off" and "Delicate". I of course enjoyed all of them - from the slow paced, melancholic "So Far", to the powerful "I'm Ready" to the bob-your-head-with-the-beat "At Your Door", I really do love them all! But I especially love those particular three. "Ever You" and "Sleep You Off" are new songs, not yet available, most likely to be on the upcoming album *fingers crossed* "Ever You" has such a great, catchy chorus that really shows off Greg's voice and range. He reaches for those high notes and get into the growl a bit... It's beautiful and gives me goosebumps every time. "Sleep You Off" is just so beautiful... It really shows off Greg's softer side and his velvet voice. The chorus is just amazing...

"If I can sleep you off
If I can close my eyes
And wake up like I forgot
If I can dream you out
Of all the things I've missed
Somehow dreams are different"
(not too sure about this last line)

And Delicate... What to say about Delicate? Vocally, it's a hard song to sing, but it fits Greg so well... It really shows off his range and just how beautiful and textured his voice is.

So why'd you fill my sorrows
With the words you've borrowed
From the only place you've known
And why'd ya sing hallelujah
If it means nothing to ya
Why'd you sing with me at all?



Andrew was on next. He played a great set, maybe 10-12 songs? Full band, backup singers, the whole thing. He is so good live! I thought he was really, really good, much better than on the tv show. He's much more jazz influenced than what we saw - he played a long jam with his guitarist (who's quite nice) that was really freaking awesome! Songs he played included Gravity, Sunday Morning (I love this song for him) and many others from his own cd (Just The Way I Feel, Turn Me Over amongst others). Very nice, talented guy that I will most definitely go see play again.

As an encore, Andrew played "Let's Get It On", and it was really cool. Love all the jazz influences this guy has. Then he called Greg up to come sing with him, and they did a song they wrote together, called "Sleep", available on Andrew's album. Their voices harmonize very well together.

"This love will never come back
This love has run it's last lap
This love will never come back"


And here are a few pictures, taken by my friend Tammy:


Greg's set:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Andrew's set:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Encore:
Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: