Thursday, November 15, 2007

What Are You Listening To?

I have recently taken to setting my iTunes player on "shuffle" while I work, and I have been resisting the urge to skip some songs very well lately. This lead me to "discovering" songs that I had, but had not listen to very much. So I decided, why not share? Some of those songs are "new discoveries" for me, while others are just songs I'm listening to a lot at the moment...


1- Congratulations - Blue October & Imogen Heap - Foiled 2006



Oh wow. It has a Peter Gabriel feel to it that I really love. Jason's vocals are stellar, and the etheral singing from Imogen Heap and the strings just add so much to this song. Heartbreaking, but beautiful, nonetheless. Blue October.

My heart, my pain won't cover up, You left me.. hu hu hu hu...


2- Apologize - One Republic & Timbaland- Dreaming Out Loud 2007



Who has not heard that song yet? It's playing EVERYWHERE. It is the number one song in Germany and in Canada. And you know what? Deservingly so. Gorgeous vocals, great lyrics, catchy tune with beautiful production. I've had the chance to see One Republic this week, in a small, intimate setting; let me tell you, this song soars when played live, it is incredible. Their album, Dreaming Out Loud, comes out November 20th. Go get that album! Those guys will be HUGE.

I'm holding on your rope,
Got me ten feet off the ground
I'm hearin what you say but I just can't make a sound
You tell me that you need me
Then you go and cut me down



3- Earth To Bella (part 1 and part 2) - Incubus- Light Grenades 2006



What a surprising song. It starts all sweet and soft, then the guitars come and knock you off your feet.... Very short, too. I don't know, there's something powerfully intense in those 2 and a half minutes. Part 2 is calmer, with organ and acoustic guitar... Beautiful. Incubus.

Earth to Bella
I see where you are not listening
I bear the burden of being the voice that let's you know
We all grow old
And before you swim you've gotta be okay to sink



4- Lonely Ones - Rise Electric- Light Grenades 2006



Lukas Rossi is known for his personal, emotional lyrics. Lonely Ones is no exception. In the original Rise Electric version, Lukas pours his heart out into his lyrics, into his music. His voice is is just so intense, ranging from falsetto to grit to whisper. It's a sad song, but you can't help banging your head in time while the guitars ripp into powerful, emotional riffs.

And now that I’m gone
you’ll know what you’ve done
You’ve turned me into your disease



5- Rebound - Jamestown- The World Is Falling Down 2006

***Go visit http://jimmcgorman.com/, and click on the Music tab to listen to the songs***

Jim McGorman, of RockStar INXS and RockStar Supernova fame, is not only an excellent guitarist, he can also sing. And I mean REALLY sing. This song, as well as the rest of the album, has a heavy 80s english pop flavor that I love. Catchy chorus, great lyrics, amazingly beautiful voice, great guitar... This song should be a hit!

Nothing you feel is wrong
Let me go
I can't keep holding on




6- Break Anotha - Blake Lewis- Audio Day Dream 2007










For those who read me regularly, you just KNEW this one was coming. *L* What can I say? I love Blake Lewis, and I think his first single, Break Anotha, is simply put FANTASTIC. The song has just been added to iTunes USA, so go purchase it if you have not already!!! The album is coming out Dec 4th, and from everything that we've heard so far, it will be AMAZING. Break Anotha is a catchy, catchy song. Starting with sirens and horns, with Blake's vocal scratching, this song has a little bit of everything for everyone. The lyrics are clever - we are being warned about a womanizer, we have no idea who.. Or do we? Blake's voice is gorgeous, the horns are great, the drum is nothing like we usually hear.

Sorry baby, there's something coming over me
It's like two sides of me
I try to be good, but I don't wanna be
But you could be a friend of me

No comments: