Tuesday, April 8, 2008

American Idol - Top8

It's kind of unfair to have those kids do a big huge show two days before they have to do their own show for the competition. Tonight sucked for pretty much everyone, when it should have been much better given the theme and most likely the broad song choice (one hopes anyway).


Michael Johns - “Dream On” by Aerosmith

Randy who says he likes the blues stuff better, Paula loving it, Simon on the fence about it. I thought he did really well with it, the beginning was a bit pitchy, but then when he launches into it, it's GREAT!!!!! The scream had me going ish for a bit, but then it ended out ok. On the positive side - the crowd was LOVING him!!!!! I actually really liked the ascot for some reason. And I loved that Michael was explaining to Randy why he chose the song.


Syesha Mercado - “I Believe” by Fantasia

She did sing it well, and although I thought she was getting into it more than she ever did before, I was with Randy in that I didn't feel like she had an emotional connection to the song.


Jason Castro - “Over The Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo

Alright, Baby Blues gave me chills. I love that version of the song, and I love that he did it more or less the same. Love the yukulele, and I thought he played around with his vocals more than ever before. And I did feel his emotional connection to the song, more than with Halleluia. And finally the crowd is quiet and just LISTEN. Loved it!


Kristy Lee Cook - “Anyway” by Martina McBride

I thought she sang her best tonight. She seemed to have really felt her song, and I really believed her. She was good!


David Cook - “Innocent” by Our Lady Peace

David gave me cold sweats tonight.... He was off... Something was bothering him, I know it. I thought his voice held off, but he really didn't have that fire in him like he usually does. On a total shallow note, I love the scruff. He started out really low, but it sounded good... Then he switched into a higher register at a weird moment - he sounded great, but the transition was weird... When he kicked into the bridge, that was all kinds of awesome. I LOVED when he points upward and sing "One Day" - oh that was GOOD. From then on, he sounded really awesome. And Andrew at the end? *LOL* Made me laugh. Didn't expect the judges to love it. The judges dissing him will hopefully make his fans vote harder.


Carly Smithson - “The Show Must Go On” by Queen

She sounded beautiful in the beginning... And then she totally lost me. She oversang - Simon is quite right, and she got really boring after that.


David Archuleta - “Angels” by Robbie Williams

What's up with Archie not having the pimp spot? I call shenanigans on this! They want him out! I know they don't like him! Poo on the judges and AI and everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Right.

I thought Archie did well, but I was bored. He did nothing extraordinary - he pretty much sang it the exact same way he did in those youtube videos floating around the net.


Brooke White - “You’ve Got A Friend” by James Taylor/Carole King

I liked it, and I totally get what Simon was saying. It made me smile and sway slowly from side to side. Not OMGTHATWASAWESOMEARGH!!!!!!!!! but nice.


I'm not gonna rank the idols tonight - they all fell short of the goal, except for Jason Castro and Kristy Lee Cook.


No comments: