Tuesday, April 1, 2008

American Idol - Top 9

Tonight was Dolly Parton night! The contestants were able to choose amongst a large amount of songs from Parton's catalogue, be it songs that she wrote or songs that she covered.

Brooke White - “Jolene”

Brooke sang well. It was pretty, but nothing exceptional. I enjoyed the acoustic arrangement and the fact the musicians/background singers were on stage with her. It added a lot visually.


David Cook - “Little Sparrow”

FINALLY we can put the "covergate" to rest! Fucking about time! I really hated that David was forced to explain himself - after all, the show is abotu doing covers, so who cares where he got them in the first place? - but I am glad he did so the bashers/haters/fame whores and cry babies can stop their whining.

David looked HOT!!!!!! Really liking his new hair cut with the combination of the scruff and the white shirt. Of course his song was not as great as last week, but I was happy he did his own arrangement, and that he played the acoustic guitar. YUM! His falsetto is not the strongest, but it is very very pretty nonetheless. I like his vocal range, and tonight's performance showed it off in a different way than previously. I felt like David was not as confident as he usually is, adding even a hint of innocence to his performance. It was not the OHMYFUCKINGDOG performance of last week, but I was still smiling and happy and warm all over after his performance. You did good David!


Ramiele Malubay - “Do I Ever Cross Your Mind”

Pretty, she sang well, probably her strongest of the last few weeks. But I'm with Simon, it was forgettable.


Jason Castro - “Travelin’ Thru”

I enjoyed hearing him streching his voice. He was pushing it more than he has before, and it sounded great. I think he took his performance much more seriously, and it was better.


Carly Smithson - “Here You Come Again”

Damn Simon was HARD on her! WTF about the wardrobe? She sang beautifully. My problem with this particular performance is that I don't think she was connected to the lyrics AT ALL. Her vocals were great, but the performance was really average.


David Archuleta - “Smoky Mountain Memories”

David found his groove back with that song. I still think he's got a pretty voice, but I've lost all interest in him. His falsetto was ICK!!!!!!!


Kristy Lee Cook - “Coat of Many Colors”

She looks very pretty tonight. It was kind of forgettable once again, although I think it's probably her best performance to date. She is safe for another week tho.


Syesha Mercado - “I Will Always Love You”

The soft part of it was really nice. But when she started pushing it... Bleh. That long note was really unnecessary. She doesn't have a big voice like Lakisha to make that song work.


Michael Johns - “It’s All Wrong, But It’s All Right”

Great, great, great song choice for him. LOVE the piano with the electric guitar only. VERY sexy. His voice had just the right amount of grit and power. You could tell he was really into it! Clearly the best of the night.


My ranking:

Michael
David C
David A
Brooke
Carly
Jason
Syesha
Kristy
Ramiele


No comments: