Tuesday, March 11, 2008

American Idol - Top 12

Once again this week, I listened to the audio first, then I watched the performances.

I like the new stage! And I like they added a pit of sorts. Makes for a better "show" feel. I think this really helps the contestants - they all are use to performing live, having an audience in front of them. The big stage and the pit probably makes them feel more comfortable, more in their element, more like they are playing a show and not doing a television show.

Syesha Mercado - “Got To Get You Into My Life”

I didn't like this version at all. I guess Syesha's vocals were good, but she really didn't grab me with her singing. After watching the performance, she really didn't change my mind.

Chikezie - “She’s A Woman”

I bet the die hard Beatles fans will crucify him for this. But I liked it! It was very entertaining, original and totally out of his box. His voice was not as strong as it usually is, and I could have done without the high pitch scream at the end, but all in all, it was a really good performance. And I loved it even more after watching the performance! Loved how he started with some sort of blue grass band, then got up and turned it up. Really, really surprised with this performance, and I really, really, REALLY liked it! Gotta say, I LOVED his reaction to Simon's comment and how Ryan was all "fired up"! *LOL*

Ramiele Malubay - “In My Life”

Boooooooooooooooooooo-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing... Pretty performance, good vocals, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... The performance didn't change my mind in any way.

Jason Castro - “If I Fell”

Nice, very nice. He's got a good falsetto... A bit weak in places, but all in all, a very Jason Castro kind of performance, and good one at that. Visually, I liked that he played the guitar. I also love that when Simon said it was very student in a bedroom at midnight, Jason said it was very much what he is...

Carly Smithson - “Come Together”

I liked it! I really enjoyed the bluesy twist she put on the song. Her voice sounded awesome, she really gave it all - glory notes, growls, soft vocals, screams... I really enjoyed it!!! Performance wise, I thought she did good, too. She looked more comfortable on the big stage, she seemed to have let loose much more than ever before.

David Cook - “Eleanor Rigby”

One of my very favorite song from the Beatles. LOVE the piano at the beginning - haunting. Great vocals throughout. The guitar and percussions added a really dark twist to the song. And when he launches in the "Aaaaaaaaaa, look at all the lonely people"... WOW!!!!!!!!!! The scream at the end really was perrrrrrrrfect. After watching the performance... I loved it even more!!! I aboslutely adored that he didn't look in the camera but instead played it for the crowd there.

Brooke White - “Let It Be”

Perfect song for her voice. Beautiful straight up arrangement with the piano and the strings. I like it when her voice cracks a bit... The background vocals were subtle and perfect this time. But performing this after David C made it a bit boring, which is too bad because it was really well done. After watching the performance, I kinda wish she didn't play the piano, but rather would have stood next to one.


David Hernandez - “I Saw Her Standing There”

The vocals were good, but not up to par with what David has offered us so far. I enjoyed that he did an upbeat song, but I don't think this was a great choice for him. After watching the performance, I can't say it added much for me. I liked that he connected with the crowd, touched hands with people and all.

Amanda Overmyer - ”You Can’t Do That”

I really like Amanda. Vocally, it was a bit shaky, but I could hear more confidence in her voice, especially as the song went on. I really liked the bridge and when she started scatting. Randy was right, the little southern rock twist on it really worked for her. Performance wise, I thought that was the best she has done so far. Amanda did look much more confident and comfortable on the big stage. I think it might have to do with the fact that she gets more of a "show" feel from the stage set up. She can play it up for the crowd, as opposed to the tv audience when performing on the small stage. I enjoyed watching that. A lot.

Michael Johns - “Across the Universe”

Oh, love the vegemite shirt! *LOL* I really enjoyed Michael's voice tonight. The stripped down rendition of this song really suited him and allowed his voice to shine. The best he's done so far in the competition. His performance really showed how important this song is for him. The emotion was readable on his face, he was really into it. Really, really liked it! And I totally disagree with Randy and Simon - I enjoyed he didn't change the song up and that he sang it straight. He probably couldn't have connected as much with it if he had changed it up.

Kristy Lee Cook - “Eight Days a Week”

Ain't got nothing good to say about this train wreck.

David Archuleta - “We Can Work it Out”

Oh wow... David's voice was pretty weak tonight. I could hear the stress in his voice without even watching him. And wow, he forgot the words to his song... Not good. The start of the song was especially shaky, and he never really was able to get into it and find his groove. The performance was not great either...

Best of the night: David C, Carly, Chikezie
Worst of the night: Kristy, David H, David A
Bottom 3: Kristy, David H, Syesha
Going home: Kristy


No comments: