Friday, February 8, 2008

Channel One, Greg Neufeld, Lukas Rossi - Horseshoe Tavern - Toronto, ON - 02/07/08

Oh wow... What a great, great, great show that was!

Channel One, Greg Neufeld and Lukas Rossi were once again reunited on stage for a great show that really took the 'Shoe by storm!


Channel One

Visit their MySpace Page.

I've seen Channel One only once before (read my review of their Lee's Palace gig HERE. I didn't know their music then. They played an acoustic set, with two guitars and one acoustic bass. It sounded really good! They played a few older songs and a few new ones. Many of them were hand clapping worthy, and I found myself nodding my head along with the beat at many times. Cool guys. Check them out!

Photobucket



Greg Neufeld

Visit his MySpace Page.

I was so anxious to hear the new songs live, I was almost giddy when Greg took the stage. I was there with a bunch of friends who now know of my love and admiration for Greg, so they pushed me up front... I was standing straight in front of Greg, probably 3 feet away, in the "spit zone". I felt a bit self conscious but it was very awesome to witness a show from such an intimate point of view.

He was in the best vocal form I've heard him yet. He was sweating a lot - it was hot in there - and was really into his songs. I LOVED what I heard, the old songs done with a twist and the new ones (that I knew anyway *L*) work so fucking well live... He made me cry during one song it was so beautiful.

Set list was:

-Lazy Eyes (I love how smooth his voice sounds on this)
-Ever You (One of my very favorite)
-Map of the Stars (new song that I didn't know but already love)
-Sleep You Off (OMG, I love it)
-Delicate (He made me cry, that was the best I've heard him do that song)
-Your Eyes (yeah, new song I love!)
-Secret (The "Diiiiiiiirty" gets me every time)
-Say It To Me Now (OMFG he gave me chills)
-Leaving Song (fucking perfect!)

And he played guitar with Lukas Rossi at the end of Luke's set - they played Alleluia, and it was so beautiful I was in a trance. Greg's guitar playing is very impressive, and complimented Lukas guitar playing and voice very well on this song.

The entire concert was filmed by someone from Lukas camp, so maybe, just maybe something will surfaced... Oh I'd love that.

Greg looked amazing, and so very happy the whole night. He always seem to have a blast not only playing but also meeting the fans after the show. He's such a good sport, and very charming! He had all the ladies in the palm of his hand. ;)

I purchased his album and listened to it in the car on my way home. I love how he reworked "So Far" - it sounds really incredible done in that way. My review of the album will be up shortly (link will be posted here).

My only complaint about his set? Not long enough! I know, I know, he was not the headliner... :)

Sleep You Off


Leaving Song


Ever You



Lukas Rossi

Visit his Official Website.

Oh, Lukas was so freaking great this night. So freaking AWESOME!

Lukas was playful, in great vocal form, charming, incredible. He started us off with Here Comes The Rain Again, yes the Eurythmics song. I knew about the cover, so I recognized, but it was nothing like the original. He made it darker, so much more intense, so.... so Lukas. I think it might have been "War" that he played, and the intensity, passion and shear love of music that he evoked left me totally stunted, speechless, I couldn't even clap I was so enthralled and fascinated. He was unbelievable. He sang Car Crash (yeah!) and two other songs with Jay Englishman, and it sounded so fucking unbelievable I almost cried. Jay's voice really compliments Lukas' well, not to mention he's a really good guitarist. I love the combination.

As far as I can remember, here are the songs he did (may not be in order):

- Here Comes the Rain Again (WOW, that sounded nothing like the original, it was absolutely fantastic!)
- Sunrise
- Dead Flowers
- War (this one left me in a trance, it just took my breath away)
- Car Crash (with Jay Englishman)
- Trust Me (with Jay Englishman)
- Good Enough (with Jay Englishman)
- Memories of You ((with Jay Englishman)
- Take Two
- It's All Love (It's actually really good done acoustic)
- Creep (always such a crowd pleaser)
- A little line or two of Karma Police (I want to hear him sing the whole thing!)
- Headspin
- Alleluia with Greg Neufeld on guitar (mindblowingly breathtaking)

I saw Lonely Ones on the set list, but he didn't play it for some reason. I was a bit bummed about it because I love the song, but that's ok, what he offered us this night so much more than I could ever asked for!

Lukas banter was very funny and entertaining. He told us the story of someone (a woman I think) who wanted him to do "Spin My Head", and he was cracking up while talking about this. He also got angry at some loud mouths at the back of the bar for disturbing everyone. But as quickly as he got pissed, he returned to his playful demeanor and said to the silent crowd "Didn't it feels like your dad just yelled at you at the dinner table and now your mom says "It's ok honey, just eat"?" *LOL*

Great show, great crowd, beautiful music!


Photobucket

No comments: