Tuesday, February 26, 2008

American Idol Season 7 - Top 20 - Top 10 Guys

It was a very lukewarm kind of night. Only 3, maybe 4 standouts for me tonight - David Hernandez, Chikezie, David Cook and David Archuleta. Also, I thought the judges comment about song choices were a bit hypocritical. They know the contestants can only choose amongst a restricted number of songs. Yes, some song choices were bad, but for Simon to mention that they have thousands of songs from the '70s to choose from was misleading and hypocritical, in my opinion. Very unfair to the contestants.


Michael Johns - “You Can Go Your Own Way”

Was he sick? He looked really tired to me. The song was way too high for him. He was struggling for the highest notes, and was flat throughout the song. No life, no oumph, no personality, really. I like him a lot, and hope he sticks around, but this was the second worst performance of the night.

Jason Castro - “I Just Want To Be Your Everything”
While I thought he sang it well, it was again flat and without much life. I was upset about the judges harping on him for using the guitar again. So what if he used the guitar two weeks in a row? Who cares? If they are going to allow instruments, comments like those shouldn't be allowed to be made.

Luke Menard - “Killer Queen”

I like Luke and thinks he's got a good voice and some good performance skills in him. But it was no where to be found tonight. His performance came out way too theatrical, almost cheesy. His vocals, while good, were cringe worthy in places. Let's just say that after mentioning how perfect one has to be to perform in an a capella group, I was expecting better vocals than what we got.

Robbie Carrico - “Hot Blooded”

Can they stop trying to pigeon-hole that guy into a genre? I seriously do not give a fuck if he is pop, rock, more pop than rock or more rock than pop. I don't give a flying fuck if he is believable as rocker or not. All I want from him is to wow me. He's got a good voice, a nice look, and decent stage presence. If he can just sing without trying to prove he is a real rocker, I am sure I'll enjoy him more. Tonight, his vocals were good, but nothing that wowed me.

Danny Noriega - “Superstar”

Alright, the spoiled brat made me laugh tonight with his little clip at the beginning and with his interaction with Simon. The singing? Kinda meh. He was on pitch, but damn that was old fashioned! His vibrato was way too slow, and I just have a hard time believing anything that comes out of this guy's mouth when he sings. Better than last week, but that's not saying much...

David Hernandez - “Papa Was A Rolling Stone”

First stand out of the night. Now that was good! I like David, and I am so glad him going first last week didn't result in his elimination. I love that he told us a story, love how he got into it and delivered a passionate performance. Love the little growls here and there... Very, very nice!

Jason Yeager - “Long Train Runnin"

Oh the judges were harsh on him. Unfortunately, I have to agree... Dude's gotta loose the perma grin! The dancing was not good, and the vocals were really average. It really sounded karaoke to me. I feel for him, but he's going to have to really bring a passionate performance if he wants to go further. That is, if he is staying this week. Weakest of the night.

Chikezie - “I Believe To My Soul”

Another stand out! The beginning was a bit weird, but then he got into the song, and it was GOOD! Soul, passion, fun, it was all in there. He's gotta be careful with the smiling too much tho. I LOVED how he talked back to Simon again, it was too funny!

David Cook - “All Right Now”

Scruffy chin, guitar strapped around his shoulder, David gave us a great performance. He does have a good rock voice. VERY comfortable on stage. But again, there's this little cocky attitude that I am not too fond of. Still, he did great, and was another stand out for me.

David Archuleta - “Imagine”

And the American Idol Season 7 is....... David Archuleta!!! Seriously, he would make a great winner. The crowd was going CRAZY for him, wow! His vocals were spot on, very beautiful. I'm not too sure about the interpretation, but I still think his performance was great. Simple, with just the guitar and his voice. Gorgeous.

Best: David A, David H, David C, Chikezie
Worst: Jason Y, Michael Johns

Going home: Jason Y and Robbie


No comments: