Friday, July 20, 2007

Canadian Idol - Top 10

Well, here we are, top10!!! It was a very strange night, with the stronger boys and the weakest girls all mixed up together. Made for a very anticlimatic night, I found, especially considering the theme for tonight was #1 hit singles.


Dwight D'Eon - Unwell
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kbpf_dwight-july-17
While I thought that was his best performance to date (aside from the auditions), there was still something missing. Some depth to his voice maybe? The whole "crazy unwell wearing a straight jacket and I'm busting out of it" was a bit much for me. I still liked it, but I was expecting more.

Khalila Glanville - Killing Me Softly
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kbrf_khalila
She made me long for some Bshorty magic! While I thought technically this was great, her performance bored me to tears. I wish she would have re-arranged it a bit.... Melionda Doolittle and Blake Lewis did this song on the first night of the American Idol tour (vid here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=kykXVPLr00w) - now this, THIS is much more entertaining!

Carly Rae Jepsen - Love You Inside Out
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kbuv_carly-rae
Well, I don't like the song, so it doesn't bod well. Carly Rae sang it really well, and I liked her stage presence. She seems so comfortable... But still, there was something that made me go Meh while watching this. Still, the strongest female contender.

Brian Melo - If You Could Only See
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kbx8_brian-melo
Oh that very first note was so baaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!! But damn he recovered well. It was not perfect, but wow, that was really good. I LOVED when he was reaching on "Say you love but you won't you gimme love but you won't".... Mmmm... That's the kind of Brian I like.

Mila Miller - Signed, Sealed, Delivered
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kbxs_mila-miller
Soooooooooooo over hearing that song. Mila sounded really flat. No intonation to her voice at all tonight. Didn't like it.

Jaydee Bixby - It's Only Make Believe
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kby9_jaydee
How freaking cute is that kid? His home package was cute - loved how he said he liked singing for the elderly because they have a real appreciation of the songs he sings. *L* I can't believe how he looks, acts and sings like Elvis Presley... Really uncanny. While I thought his performance was really dated, it suited him perfectly, and he did it really well.

Greg Neufeld - All These Things That I've Done

I desperately wanted to LOVE it... But I didn't. I liked it. Sort of. Part of it was great - when he was reaching on "I got soul but I'm not a soldier", that was amazing. But the rest of it.... Too monotone. Greg needs to sing something more melodic. And WTF with him being dressed like the The Killers singer? It was far from being the worst performance of the night, but it was not the best Greg can do. What I really wanted to hear was the rest of that concert we go to hear in his home package at the beginning! THAT sounded FREAKING AWESOME! **ADDING** Listening to the audio only, this was much better than I originally thought.I liked the intensity, and I appreciated that Greg got out of his comfort zone and did a different kind of song. But I'm with Zach - *GASP* - I dind't think the whole manic routine worked for Greg. I think it was the performance that bothered me more than the singing. Listening to the audio only proved that the vocals were there, and vocally, I liked it a lot. A whole lot - I love when Greg reaches in his higher register, as much as I love it when he sings in his soft, soft, beautiful lower register. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think it's the performance that bothered me a bit.

Martha Joy - The Power of Love
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kbzn_martha
*gag puke* Technically, she sang the best tonight. But that was so boring, so full of cheese, so...... *puke* Jake said it best, she was milking that song for all its worth. **ADDING** Actually, listening to the audio only, this is even worse. She hits tons of bum notes.

Tara Oram - You Win My Love
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kc0m_tara-oram
I actually enjoyed that. She's not the best singer, but good enough to pull this off. I like her energy - she's not as Carrie Underwoody as she was - and her tone. Good job.

Matt Rapley - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kc21_matt-rapley
Best from him since the start of the season. I enjoyed it, even tho I thought he can sing better than that.

My Top 3: Brian, Carly Rae, Tara
My Bottom 3: Martha, Mila, Dwight

I think Dwight might be going home, only because he was first to sing... He was not the worst I thought. I'd rather see Martha or Mila go home.


*****EDITED*****


Not surprised Mila went home, or that Khalila was in the B3. I was, however, surprised that Carly was in there. I HATED her fake face, trying to cry and looking pathetic up there. Blech. Still was not expecting her to be in the B3 tonight.

No comments: