Thursday, July 5, 2007

Blake Lewis is an 'American Idol' original

Good article on Blake Lewis, about the competition, about his music, his tastes.... Very positive!

http://www.bradenton.com/entertainment/story/88882.html

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's pretty safe to say that by last year, and the end of "American Idol's" fifth season, there wasn't a person in the country over the age of, say, 8 who hadn't heard of the show.

Against an incredibly fickle cultural background in which new TV programs come and go in a couple of seasons, and pop stars fall in and out of favor at an even quicker rate (remember when Britney was our prom queen instead of our punching bag?), Fox Television's musical reality competition has shown amazing endurance as the nation's favorite boob-tube staple.

So yeah, everybody's heard of it. And while not everybody's actually watched it, it's always kind of weird when you run across that odd person who claims they've never seen an episode.

It's even weirder when that person is Blake Lewis, the tattooed 25-year-old Washington state native who finished second at the end of the show's sixth and most recent season. According to Lewis, prior to auditioning for the program in Seattle at the behest of his friends and peers, he hadn't seen "American Idol."

"I'd just got done playing a gig at 10 o'clock at night, and my friend Josh called me and asked what I was doing tomorrow," he recalls. "I said, 'Nothing,' and he says, 'You should go register for 'American Idol.' "

"I'd never seen it, I didn't know what it was about. I'm a singer, but I'm not much of a competitor. But I figured if I got on TV, at least I could show people my art. The thing to me was it was live TV, I could do anything I want, they can't really stop it. I love the live art form. I've been a live musician for the past eight years, so I was very intrigued."


Keep on reading here:
http://www.bradenton.com/entertainment/story/88882.html

No comments: