Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Canadian Idol - Season 6 - Top 5 - Performances

Beatles night tonight! I hope it'll be good...

But before we get to the performances, we are shown a clip of the idols visiting Camp Oochigeas, which is a camp for kids who are battling cancer. The camp is about celebrating life and enjoying it. It seems to have been a really uplifting experience for the idols, who say those kids were inspiration for them, as well as great examples of just living life! The camp offers all kinds of activities for the kids, at no cost to their parents. Donors, volunteers, THANK YOU for all you do for those kids and their families!

Wanna know more about the camp? Visit their website at http://www.ooch.org/




Alright, the show. The judges are the ones picking songs for the contestants this week. I like that the judges explain why they chose the song for the contestants and how they think it's perfect for them. They show clips of their best moments as the judges talk. We start with...

Earl Stevenson - With a Little Help From My Friends
HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!!!! Earl was absolutely FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!!!! He gave me chills and cold sweats and tears in my eyes. He really dug into the soul of that song and just let it all poured out of him. I absolutely adored that he showed his soft voice and then the bluesy quality of it at other times in the song. I think this was the best he's done vocally; he really controlled his voice, letting it go when needed and taming it down when required. I also don't think we've heard him sing such high notes that well yet. WOW! While I loved the back and forth between him and the background singers, I thought they sang a little too much. But you know what? It really doesn't matter. Earl KILLED that song and it was awesome and I want him to sing that song over and over and over again. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also really loved that he stayed more or less in one place, swaying back and forth with the mike stand, only jumping once or twice during the performance. It kind of concentrated all the emotions and meanings of the song and made it all that much more powerful. Can I say it again? WOW!!!!!!!

I actually had to rewatch it a few times before I could move on and watch the other performances. *L*




Mookie Morris - Come Together
Great choice for Mookie. The judges say he's got a very british something about him, and I agree. The style of the song really suited Mookie, and I really enjoyed how he performed it. However, I thought there was some oumph missing... I don't know. It was still a solid performance.




Theo Tams - Long and Winding Road
Great song choice for Theo - Canada loves that kind of ballad. I think Theo did really well vocally - he's always very strong there, and this was no exception. However, I felt he was missing the emotional connection he always conveyed so well in his previous performances. I was kind of disapointed the judges didn't give him "Let It Be". For a piano man like Theo, this would have been perfect. It could have been just him and the piano. Epic moment. As it is, I feel the judges missed the boat a bit on that one.




Mitch Macdonald - In My Life
Aw, that was pretty. I didn't think the first part of the song did justice to Mitch's voice. It highlighted some of its weaknesses instead. But then the second part of the song was really, really, REALLY nice. I really like when he pushes his vocals to the edge; I always think he's gonna loose it, but then he doesn't. All in all, I think it was a good performance from Mitch. Not his best, but still solid.




Drew Wright - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I LOVE that song. I know it's a Beatles song and that Clapton did it, but it'll forever and ever be a Jeff Healey song for me. I was kinda disappointed they didn't mention him (ETA: I had written this before listening to the judges comments - I am glad Jake mentioned Jeff).



BUT! Back to Drew. I really enjoyed his version of Creep and thought he had done well with it. But with WMGGW, he hit the emotion and passion that I thought was missing a bit from Creep. And the guitar playing was killer. His soft vocals in the beginning gave me chills - a first with Drew for me. Very, very strong. What they showed in the recap at the end was my favorite moment of Drew's performance. GREAT!




All in all, it really was a great show that I enjoyed thoroughly from start to finish. Everyone brought it, and it is now a matter of who floats your boat more than who did best. Although if Earl goes home, I'll be pissed because his performance was not only the performance of the night but I think the best of the season so far (although Theo's Weak In The Knees is right up there for me, too).

My ranking for tonight:

Earl
.
.
.
Drew
Theo
Mookie
Mitch

I do think it's Mitch's turn to go home, but I'd be very surprise if he's the one leaving. At this point, it's hard to predict who will... I'm still scared for Earl - he went first and was in the bottom 3 two weeks in a row... I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

No comments: