Wednesday, March 4, 2009

American Idol - Season 8 - Top 36 - Week 3 - VIDEOS

My take on tonight:

Von Smith - “You’re All I Need to Get By” by Marvin Gaye - VIDEO

MUCH better than Hollywood week. He looked comfortable on stage, and that made it really enjoyable for me. He was still shouting a bit near the end, but all in all, I can say I liked his performance.


Taylor Vaifanua - “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys -

Shaky all over, no power behind the voice, not a good performance.


Alex Wagner-Trugman - “I Guess That’s Why They Call it the Blues” by Elton John - VIDEO

I like Alex's personality and quirky sense of humour. But his vocals tonight were weird - what was up with throwing that weird growl all over the place? And his physical performance was equally weird.


Arianna Afsar - “The Winner Takes it All” by Abba - VIDEO

That was a hot mess of epic proportion. It's too bad - she's got a nice tone to her voice, but her talent didn't shine threw with this performance. Bad, bad, bad all around.


Ju’Not Joyner - “Hey There Delilah” by The Plain White Ts - VIDEO

I actually really enjoyed the subdued arrangement and vocals. But I'm with Simon - I think it would have been even better if he kept it stripped down all the way through. I'm not crazy about his voice, but I enjoyed this very, very much.


Kristen McNamara - “Give Me One Reason” by Tracy Chapman -

I like Kristen's voice. I did not, however, like this arrangement, nor did I like the performance. No, no, no, no, no.


Nate Marshall - “I Would Do Anything for Love” by Meatloaf - VIDEO

First - Nathaniel is a huge drama queen. Second, he has a nice voice, but not enough power and gusto to sing such a diva song! Absolutely dreadful.


Felicia Barton - “No One” by Alicia Keys - VIDEO

I hate that song, but I liked this. I too thought it was a bit copycat, but I still thought it was good.


Scott MacIntyre - “Mandolin Rain” by Bruce Hornsby - VIDEO

I really, really enjoyed this one. Scott was a bit shaky at first, produced a few bum notes here and there, but all in all, I thought he did good. He sang with passion, and those higher, big notes were simply fabulous. I frankly love his voice - and he's got one. If he didn't, I'd be sympathetic to his story, but nothing more...


Kendall Beard - “This One’s for the Girls” by Martina McBride - VIDEO

I don't like country, and she has the generic country blonde girl lok, but she did pretty good. Not sure it'll be enough to go through, but it was enjoyable.


Jorge Nunez - “Don’t Let the Sun go Down on Me” by Elton John - VIDEO

I'm not liking the overly dramatic performance and vocals, but he had some really strong vocals in there nonetheless. Very nice. But let me rant a bit here - I hate that the judges told him before tonight to work on his accent. I hate that when he sings, there is not much of that accent showing through. He's from Porto Rico, he speaks spanish - what is so wrong with having an accent when he speaks/sings in english?? GRRRRRR!


Lil Rounds - “Be Without You” by Mary J. Blige - VIDEO

By far the best of the night. On pitch, great performance, both physically and vocally. She's in, for sure.


Thanks to www.mjsbigblog.com for the videos.

No comments: