Tuesday, March 24, 2009

American Idol - Season 8 - Top 11 - Performances & VIDEOS

The Music of the Grand Ole Opry



Michael Sarver - Ain’t Goin’ Down Til the Sun Comes Up (Garth Brooks)

I enjoyed that performance from him. His voice suits the country style very well. Not his best, but a fun performance. The fact he went first probably didn't help him. Loved the harmonica! A song with perhaps too many words for him to really sing them properly.



Allison Iraheta - Blame it on Your Heart (Patty Loveless)

Good vocals, good energy, good performance. Not my fav, I guess that's because that's country, and I don't like country... But I think she did good.



Kris Allen - To Make You Feel My Love (Garth Brooks)

Kris' voice is gorgeous on record. And this live performance is no different. Beautiful vocals, heartfelt performance. He keeps getting better and better every week... Love his version. Another one of my fav tonight.



Lil Rounds - Independence Day (Martina McBride)

I did not like this. She sang alright, but it would have been so much better if she had infused her own style into the song.



Adam Lambert - Ring of Fire ( Johnny Cash)

WTF? That is truly a hate it or love it performance. I like his voice when he doesn't go into all that crazy high stuff. I loved that he put his own spin the song. Finally someone who's taking a risk and running with it. I loved the weird "oh oh oh aha ah" stuff at the end. This version reminded me of Dilana's on RockStar Supernova. Can't say I absolutely adore the performance, but I liked it. And it was for sure entertaining!



Scott MacIntyre - Wild Angels (Martina McBride)

Nice performance from Scott. I love him at the piano. A few rough spots in the beginning. His voice sounded more powerful than the week before.



Alexis Grace - Jolene (Dolly Parton)

I actually liked her performance. Her vocals were a bit weak in the beginning, but once she got into it, I think she sang good. I would have liked her to inject a bit more of her bluesy stuff into the song, but all in all, I thought it was good.



Danny Gokey - Jesus Take the Wheel (Carrie Underwood)

I absolutely adore Danny's tone. He sounds amazing on record. What I always appreciate of Danny's performances is that he always seems to really feel the words he's singing. The transition from verse to chorus was a bit rough, but that chorus? Wow, he rocked those vocals! I disagreed with the judges that he should always sing in that power house voice of his. We'd grow tired of it. I am with Paula, I like that he built the momentum on the song. Very good indeed.



Anoop Desai - You Were Always on My Mind (Willie Nelson)

Now THAT was what I was waiting for from Anoop. Beautiful, emotional vocals. No antics, just his gorgeous voice soaring and shining. The arrangement was a bit old fashioned, but it suited the kind of performance Anoop wanted to put out there. I really appreciated he didn't go with the huge glory note at the end, or the falsetto. My fav of his so far.



Megan Joy Corkrey - Walking After Midnight (Patsy Cline)

She really is a truly beautiful girl. I like her choices of songs, quirky like her. Her voice had no power at all. The judges said she was sick, so under those circumstances, I thinks she did good.



Matt Giraud - So Small (Carrie Underwood)

First, I hated that the judges told Scott not to hide behind the piano, but they didn't say anything to Matt. Inconsistent judges FTL! Ok, onto Matt's performance. His voice was AMAZING on this. Not too many runs, a little bit of grit here and there, powerful, emotional vocals. LOVED it. His best so far! Beautiful. I hope he keeps improving like that.



The Best:
Anoop
Matt
Danny/Kris


The Worst:



Thanks to www.mjsbigblog.com for the videos.

No comments: