Monday, March 19, 2012

The Voice - Battle Round Week 2

A little late, but here are my thoughts on week 2 of the battle rounds!

Thanks to NBCTheVoice for the videos.


Geoff McBride vs Sera Hill – Chain of Fools


Unfair battle #1. Sera is the contestant that Christina sang with on stage during the blind auditions. Sera definitely has a great voice and great potential. But there is something in Geoff's voice that gets me. I thought he sang the crap out of this song and held more than his own while facing a belter/diva/vocalist. No surprise that Sera wins this round, but because of my personal preferences I would have given it to Geoff.



↵ Use original player
YouTube
← Replay
X
i





Charlotte Sometimes vs Lex Land – Pumped up Kicks by Foster the People


Unfair battle #2. I like Charlotte. I like Lex. I actually prefer Lex to Charlotte. I did NOT enjoy this battle. I didn't think the song was a good fit for that kind of format. Charlotte did sing it better than Lex, although as the song went on Lex got more comfortable and sang super well. Charlotte wins.



↵ Use original player
YouTube
← Replay
X
i





Juliet Simms vs Sarah Golden Stay With Me by Rod Stewart


Unfair battle #3. Completely different styles for those two women. Juliet's got that rock edge and gravely voice I love. Sarah has this singer/songwriter vibe that I really dig. A Rod Stewart tune is much better suited for Juliet's voice and this one especially is. Sarah does well, but Juliet overpowers her. Juliet wins.



↵ Use original player
YouTube
← Replay
X
i





Whitney Myer Vs. Kim Yarbrough – No Drama by Mary J. Blige


This was an interesting battle. Two divas/belters/powerhouse singers. One clearly has a life long experience and the other one, while having quite a bit of experience with singing with her family, is not quite there yet. Whitney's voice needs to mature more, but wow, she's got it. She's got a really interesting tone, style and phrasing, while Kim is more classically "diva". I really didn't have any preference. Kim wins.



↵ Use original player
YouTube
← Replay
X
i





Lindsey Pavao vs Lee Koch – Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana


Unfair battle #4. Even before they began to sing, it was decided Lindsey would win this one. I like both their quirky style. I like Lee's tone, and Lindsey's voice is very interesting. But this song? This battle? These two singing that song? So. Freaking. Boring. And weird. But not in a good way. I think the fact that Lindsey plays so much with the melody really didn't complement this song at all, and did not compliment Lee's style. On the other hand, Lee's "Sweet Home Alabama" style of rock doesn't go well with Lindsey' style. I actually would have loved to have heard Lee sing this song by himself. I think he would have killed it. Lindsey? Not so much. Lindsey wins. Meh.



↵ Use original player
YouTube
← Replay
X
i





Jamar Rogers  vs  Jamie Lono – I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner


Unfair battle #5. Damn, what's up with that? Jamie has a nice voice, but no confidence whatsoever. And that's too bad, because he could be very good. Jamar, on the other hand, has tons of confidence and emotes very well, maybe even a  bit too well at times. Jamar wins, easily.









No comments: