Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Voice - Battle Round Week 1

Yep. I've gotten into The Voice. I can't help it - I'm a sucker for music, and I love discovering new artists. Singing competitions are as good a way as any other, right?

At any rate, I feel like there is a whole damn lot of talent on The Voice this season. Really nice. Here are my thoughts on the first Battle Rounds!

Tony Lucca vs. Chris Cauley - Beautiful Day by U2



In my opinion, both guys did super well. I felt the song was perhaps better suited for Chris' voice. Tony certainly had to show how he can bring it to win this one. I felt Chris might have been a bit more consistent than Tony, but they both brought it and turned this into a really nice duet. Tony wins.


RaeLynn vs. Adley Stump - Free Fallin' by Tom Petty



I thought Adley had this one in the bag. She was stronger than RaeLynn all around. In my opinion, RaeLynn has enormous potential but she is still too young. I guess Blake say it differently. RaeLynn wins.


Chris Mann vs. Monique Benabou - The Power of Love by Celine Dion



Is it just me or those two were not really on pitch the whole time? Monique has a nice voice, and wow, Chris has amazing technique and control. Monique lacks experience and training, and Chris lacks the emotion, I think, which resulted in me not really enjoying this. Also, the changes in lyrics were really distracting. I guess in the circumstances it made sense to go with Chris. Chris wins.


Cheesa vs. Angie Johnson - Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler



Two solid female voices. Great battle. This really was a battle, NOT a duet. Angie's tone is more pleasant to my ears, so I would have picked her. But this is one that could have gone either way. Cheesa wins.


Jordis Unga vs. Brian Fuente - Ironic by Alanis Morissette



I really enjoy Brian's voice. Weak in the higher part of his register. Jordis...  Wow...  Poor girl almost let her nerves get the best of her AGAIN. She needs to get out of her own head fast or she won't last. This duet was a train wreck. Harmonies were NOT good. Jordis wins by the skin of her teeth.


Anthony Evans vs Jesse Campbell will sing “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keyes



Very nicely done. I'd say that was the best battle of the night. During the blind auditions I prefered Jesse, but last night, Anthony was my favorite out of the two. Their voices blended well, and the solo bits were pretty damn good. In my mind, it could have gone either way. Jesse wins.

Until next time....

No comments: