Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Exclusive Interview with Blake Lewis – Heartbreak on Vinyl Out Now!

http://www.idolstalker.com/exclusive-interview-with-blake-lewis-heartbreak-on-vinyl-out-now/


Have you had a chance to listen to Blake Lewis’ new album, Heartbreak on Vinyl? If you haven’t, you definitely need to check it out (it’s out today! Buy it on Amazon or iTunes!).

It’s a lot closer to what you would expect from Blake than the music he released on Audio Day Dream and I really can’t say enough about how happy I am for him. I had the opportunity to chat with Blake this morning. Here’s the quick interview!

Idol Stalker: What were your main inspirations for the songs on Heartbreak on Vinyl?
Blake Lewis: My ex-girlfriend, actually. When I started making the album, it was back in January when I was getting out of a relationship and suffered my first heartbreak. I first wrote ‘Our Rapture of Love’ and then I wrote ‘Sad Song’ after we broke up. I tried to get her back which led to ‘Rebel Without a Cause’ and ‘Left My Baby For You.’

IS: How is this album different than Audio Day Dream?
BL: The content is different. Before, I set out to make a dance album versus a heartbreak album. This one is more personal and a little deep and sentimental. ADD already had a set concept since it had been in my head for four years before. Heartbreak on Vinyl is kind of organic. ADD was a pop album that was made in a hurry but Heartbreak was recorded at my house and I got to collaborate with my friends.

IS: Has signing with Tommy Boy Records given you more creative freedom?
BL: Yeah. I got the record done, created it and then turned it in. With Clive Davis, there was too much meddling where he’d say things like “I don’t like this chorus” and we’d have to make changes. It’s not like that now. I have my job and they have theirs.

IS: What is your favourite track?
BL: They are all sentimental. ‘Binary Love’ is very seductive. It was in the works before the rest of the songs while the others came about more organically. Heartbreak on Vinyl is close to my heart and is one of my favorite songs that I have ever written. I gave a copy of the album to my ex.

IS: Really? How did that go?
BL: It was great. She’s a great person and we’ve been friends for 6 years.

IS: You seem to be the sort of artist who is always learning and evolving. Who are your main influences right now?
BL: I’m listening to a lot of electro and I’m in a DJ-conscious frame of mind. I’ve got Jamie Lidell on repeat. It’s feel-good music. I’ve also been listening to Discovery and Glitch Mob is just amazing. It’s the direction that I wish hip hop would take in the future.

IS: What have you got planned over the next few months?
BL: Gigs here and there. Live performances and deejaying. My favorite holiday is just around the corner – Halloween.

IS: Do you dress up?
BL: Oh yeah. I love it. I’m also looking forward to the Heartbreak on Vinyl launch parties.

Thanks again for the interview, Blake!

No comments: